By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Analyze organizational structure, design, culture, and climate in relation to environmental forces.
- Analyze the internal and external environment of a health care organization.
- Identify key structural features of the health care industry that determine the forces governing competition.
- Summarize findings related to the current challenges and opportunities facing a health care organization.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for professionals in health care administration.
- Write in a clear, concise, and well-organized manner, supporting conclusions with relevant evidence.
- Follow current APA guidelines for format and style
Strategic management links strategic thinking and analysis to organizational action. Strategic management is a systems-based approach that simultaneously integrates external and internal environments, scanning for emerging issues and gaps, and provides leadership infrastructure.
Read the Assessment 1 Context document for more information about the following topics:
- Impact of Change.
- Analytical Techniques for Environmental Analyses.
- Specific Goals of an Environmental Analysis.
- Sustaining a Competitive Advantage.
Another key resource for examination of current issues in in health care environment is the American Hospital Association’s “Environmental Scan” documents. These documents are focused, concise scans of the current issues happening across the health care continuum and are updated regularly.
O’Dell, G. J. & Aspy, D. J. (2015). 2016 Environmental scan. American Hospital Association. Retrieved from http://www.hhnmag.com/ext/resources/inc-hhn/pdfs/2015/EnviroScan_2016.pdf
- To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
- How does the analytical model of strategic management compare with the emergent learning model in health care?
- What are some examples of analytical strategies in a small health care organization? How do they differ from large organizations?
- What is the analytical strategy within your own health care organization?
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.