As a counselor, you will be tasked with taking on the problems and emotions of others; as a result, it is important to care for yourself so you are available to perform effectively as a care provider. Ethically, counselors are responsible for being familiar with professional counseling standards, which includes professional identity development and self-care. Now that you are starting field experiences, taking care of yourself is imperative, not just ethically but also professionally and personally. This assignment will help you grow your professional identity by guiding you through questions to consider as you apply the practice of writing down plans to reach your personal and professional development self-care goals.
Create a 1- to 2-page plan for the development of your professional identity as a counselor. Plan for the time during your clinical experience and after your graduation from the program.
Respond to each of the following questions in at least 4 sentences to complete your plan:
- What does self-care look like for you within the scope of your ethical, legal, and professional obligations?
- What are your steps for engaging in self-care?
- How does counseling supervision cultivate your growing professional identity?
- What steps will you take to use supervision to enhance your personal and professional development?
- How can getting involved in counseling organizations (such as the ACA or state counseling organizations, etc.) assist you in your professional identity development and enhance your professional self-care?
- How will you continue to self-evaluate your overall well-being and progress toward professional development?
- Reflect on the current labor market for the profession in your area. What steps can you take now to prepare for your future in counseling?
Cite at least 1 current resource according to APA guidelines to support your response to each question (at least 7 total resources).