Our papers are 100% unique and written following academic standards and provided requirements. Get perfect grades by consistently using our writing services. Place your order and get a quality paper today. Rely on us and be on schedule! With our help, you'll never have to worry about deadlines again. Take advantage of our current 20% discount by using the coupon code GET20
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Assignment 2: Categorical Perception: Identification and Discrimination
Across the United States and the world, people speak English with many different accents. How is it that we can understand what is being said whether one speaks with a Southern “drawl,” a New England “clip,” or a Western “twang?” Categorical perception may be one of the ways that our perceptual processes help us understand words spoken with different accents.
Access the following CogLab demonstrations and follow the instructions to completeboth demonstrations (these are listed under the Speech & Language tab).
- Categorical Perception: Identification
- Categorical Perception: Discrimination
Using the textbook and module readings, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research the effect of training on one’s ability to make perceptual discriminations.
Based on the demonstrations and your research, address the following:
- Define categorical perception. Differentiate between identification and discrimination.
- Explain whether your personal experimental results for both demonstrations follow patterns similar to the predicted experimental results.
- In many situations, you may be forced to make categorical judgments. Name a job in which someone has to categorize people or things that actually fall on a continuum. Describe the categorization this person would have to make.
- Describe your views on why it is useful to have categorical speech perception.
- Experience and training can affect your ability to make perceptual discriminations. Explain whether you agree or disagree with this statement.
Support your answers with adequate reasoning and scholarly research and references.
Write a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Be sure to include a title page and a reference page. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M4_A2.doc.
Assignment 1: Discussion—Cochlear Implants
Cochlear implants have been a hotbed of the sensation-and-perception debate since they were approved for use in the United States in 1984. This debate is particularly notable when the use of implants in deaf children is discussed.
Using the module readings, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research the use of and the debate surrounding cochlear implants in deaf children.
Based on your research, respond to the following:
- Explain deaf culture and summarize the following two perspectives on deafness:
- Pathological perspective
- Sociocultural perspective
- Compare and contrast the arguments of the hearing and non-hearing parents of deaf children regarding the use of cochlear implants. State the points on which they agree or disagree.
- State your opinion on whether you would choose to let your child have the surgery if you were the parent of a child who was born deaf and was eligible for a cochlear implant. Explain whether this position is supported by current research.
- Explain whether this debate would be different in the case of children born blind if a retinal implant was available.
Support your responses with adequate reasoning and research.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.