identify one problem or opportunity area for which a technology solution will be proposed in the business case.
Background and Environmental Analysis
The purpose of this section is to give a clear introduction to the business case and project. It provides the background on the core aspects of the business and its operation in sufficient detail to set the stage for the explanation of the problems, opportunities, or changes that will follow. This section also contains an analysis of the environment within which the business operates, identifying problems or opportunities in a number of areas, setting the stage for Section II, where the team will identify one problem or opportunity area for which a technology solution will be proposed in the business case.
Approach to Developing this Section
Background: Begin with an introduction to the situation portrayed in the case study to provide a background on the organization and its current operation.
Environmental Analysis: Conduct some research on industry analysis and trends for the business in the case study, and select those that could impact the business. Include a description of at least one problem or opportunity in each of the following areas:
- An opportunity or change to the Business Vision, Strategy or Objectives
- Business processes or technologies which are not operating efficiently or have been rendered obsolete
- New or better competitor products or processes which have been identified
- New technology trends (or opportunities resulting from new technologies introduced)
- Commercial or operational trends which are driving changes in the business or industry
- Changes to statutory, legislative or other environmental requirements.
Provide facts or evidence to support the conclusions drawn above, using one or two sentences with citations/references as appropriate.