Introductory Management Accounting
Due Date A B Learning Outcomes Assessed
Assignment – team based Week 4 Week 11
Task Type: Type A: unsupervised, Type B: supervised.
A: RESEARCH ESSAY – INFORMATION
The following matters should be given particular attention:
1. Writing assignments must not exceed the word counts indicated. Double space your pages, use a 12-pt Times New Roman font, use 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page.
2. Your essay must include an abstract/synopsis, introduction, essay body that clearly addresses the problem areas, a conclusion and a properly referenced bibliography. (Refer to the research essay marking rubric for further guidance)
3. Evidence of extensive research beyond the prescribed text is required. Ensure these are referenced appropriately in your bibliography. Refer to the statement regarding plagiarism.
4. NO extensions will be granted unless supported by appropriate documentation prior to the due date.
5. This assignment must be handed in for successful completion of the course and will count 25 marks towards the final mark.
6. The word count for the research essay is 2000 words. Please refer to the Research Essay Marking Rubric for the specific allocation of word count for each specific section of your research essay (refer point 2 above).
7. Points (fractional marks) have also been allocated to each specific section of your research essay.
B: RESEARCH ESSAY TOPIC
• You must select a manufacturing company from the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) website and should discuss their selection prior to commencing their research essay.
“Unfortunately, the myriad approaches to product costing and choices available can inhibit a systematic design approach. In selecting a product cost system, a firm needs to answer four key questions…”
Fisher, J. G., & Krumwiede, K. (2012). Product costing systems: Finding the right approach. Journal of Corporate Accounting & Finance, 23(3), p. 44.
With reference to the above statement:
1. Describe which costs should be included in product cost of your selected manufacturing company.
2. At what level of detail should the company track direct product costs? Discuss.
3. Evaluate how your selected company should organise indirect product costs.
4. Comment on how your selected company should allocate indirect costs to products.
E: RESEARCH ESSAY MARKING RUBRIC
Essay Structure, Points (Pts.) and Word Count Points / Grade
Abstract / Synopsis (20pts) 200 words
Introduction (20pts) 250 words
QUESTION 1. DESCRIBE … (40pts) 300 words
QUESTION 2. DISCUSS … (60pts) 400 words
QUESTION 3. EVALUATE … (50pts) 300 words
QUESTION 4. COMMENT … (50pts) 300 words.
Conclusion (20pts) 250 words
Reference list (10pts)
Spelling and Grammar (10pts)
Total points possible 300:
Mark out of 25:*
*Points attained divided by 12 equals mark out of 25