Begin the assignment by reading the “Applied Behavior Analysis in Special Education: Misconceptions and Guidelines for Use” (Trump et al., 2018) article, which describes some recent critical perspectives and misconceptions on the use of ABA to treat individuals with autism and other disabilities: Then, use the knowledge that you have gained from this course to make two arguments.
- In your first argument, explain the usefulness, benefits, and social validity of ABA as an approach to treatment and behavioral development. Be sure to consider the importance of an evidence-based and data-driven approach and the right to effective treatment as described in “The Right to Effective Behavioral Treatment” (Van Houten et al., 1988).
- In your second argument, respond to some of the concerns addressed in this article.
- What are some possible unwanted effects that may be associated with practice of ABA, particularly in its earliest historical use? What are some ways the authors suggest these concerns can be addressed?
- Finally, after considering both arguments, present a supported conclusion on the appropriateness of applied behavior analysis as a socially valid treatment approach to improve quality of life, based on your analysis of the article and related issues. Be sure that you are using your readings and integrating citations to support both arguments.
Name and briefly describe five recent developments in ABA that were reviewed in the course.
- Explain what additions to the philosophy and practice of ABA have been added by each development.
- Describe each of Baer et al.’s (1968) seven dimensions of ABA.
- Choose one recent development that is of most interest to you and be specific about how the development meets the requirement for each of the seven dimensions. Discuss if there are any ways in which the development does not support the dimensions.
Consider the future of ABA. Based on your readings and analysis, what are some important areas for growth and change?
- Consider the current state of multiculturalism and diversity in practice. How will growth in these areas help to build relationships to effectively support the goals and practices of applied behavior analysis?
- Analyze ways in which the goals and philosophical assumptions of ABA will allow for continued development and expansion without sacrificing the scientific foundations of ABA.
- In your supported opinion, what are some important areas in which ABA should not change?
Your assignment should be 8–10 pages, not including the title and reference pages, and should include the following elements:
- Title Page: Provide the assignment title, your name, course and section number, instructor name, and date.
Body: Include an introductory and a concluding paragraph. Answer all the questions in complete sentences and paragraphs, using appropriate personal and professional insights.
- The assignment must be written in Standard English and demonstrate superior organization, including a highly developed viewpoint and purpose that is clearly established and sustained. The communication of your thoughts must be highly ordered, logical, and unified, displaying exceptional content, organization, style, and mechanics (including the use of correct grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure).
- Your responses should meet professional writing standards, using proper tone and language. The writing and writing style should be correct and accurate and reflect knowledge of applied behavior analysis.
Reference Page: Sources listed in APA format.
- Include a minimum of five scholarly peer-reviewed sources to support your responses and conclusions.
- Use Arial or Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced and left aligned.
- Use standard 1″ margins on all sides.
- Use current APA formatting and citation style.