Top of Form
Bottom of Form
- Business Integrity Part 2: Internal Controls and Fraud Prevention
Increased awareness of the risks of fraud has led to increased interest in assessing risk, curbing fraudulent behaviors, and implementation of better internal controls (Vermeer, Raghunandan, & Forgione, 2013). In 2013, the NASDAQ stock market proposed internal audit functions to “provide management and the audit committee with ongoing assessments of the company’s risk management processes and system of internal controls” (p. 10, 2017, Raibor, Butler, Martin & Pizzini). Managing fraud prevention is a key task for organization management (McMahon, Pence, Bressler & Bressler, 2016).
[u06s1] Unit 06 Study 1
- Ann Riney, F. (2018). Two‐step fraud defense system: Prevention and detection.& Journal of Corporate Accounting & Finance (Wiley), 29(2), 74–86.
- McMahon, R., Pence, D., Bressler, L., & Bressler, M. S. (2016). New tactics in fighting financial crimes: Moving beyond the fraud triangle. Journal of Legal, Ethical and Regulatory Issues, 19(1), 16–25.
- Raiborn, C., Butler, J. B., Martin, K., & Pizzini, M. (2017). The internal audit function: A prerequisite for good governance.& Journal of Corporate Accounting & Finance, 28(2), 10–21.
Optional – Readings
You may choose to read Giles, S. (2012). Managing fraud risk: A practical guide for directors and managers. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
Applying a Moral Framework
For this assignment, you will use your moral framework from Unit 4 to determine how to respond to an ethical dilemma.
This assignment is based on the Mueller’s 2016 case study, Corruption in Russia: IKEA’s Expansion to the East (A).
Complete the following:
- Review the assigned readings from Units 1–6 and reflect on the strengths, weaknesses, and issues with each major theory and how they may impact the issues presented in the case study.
- Conduct your own research in the Capella library to locate additional resources to support your work in this assignment.
After reading the Mueller case study, complete the following in 4–5 pages:
- Analyze the ethical dilemma presented in the case study.
- Identify the ethical dilemmas in the case study.
- Explain the factors that contributed to the ethical dilemmas.
- Recommend a course of action using your moral framework, ethical theories, and ethical principles to guide your recommendations.
- Explain how your recommendations reflect ethical leadership.
- How will your choices affect the short- and long-term future of IKEA in Russia and of IKEA in general?
Your assignment should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Your assignment should demonstrate sound critical thinking and research skills, as well as doctoral-level writing skills.
- Length: 4–5 double-spaced pages, not including the title page, reference page, or appendices.
- References: A minimum of five scholarly resources, of which at least three must be from your own research. Be sure that your resources are recent (within the last 3–5 years) and appropriate.
- APA format: Follow current APA guidelines for formatting in-text citations and references.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.
- Toggle Drawer
Risk Management and Internal Control
After reading the articles assigned in this unit and doing your own research, complete the following: Consider an organization where you work or have worked in the past. (Do not identify the organization by name in your post, but include the industry, for example, health care, manufacturing, or construction.) Where might there be issues with internal control deficiencies where you may have worked? Are there control deficiencies you see in other areas/departments of the company? What should management’s role be in addressing these?
Support your position with references to the readings in this unit and your own research. Be sure you follow current APA guidelines for citations and references.
Respond to the post of at least two of your peers. Use this discussion to share experiences and ideas. Ask questions, seek clarity, and offer your own perspective.