Assignment 3: Persuasive Paper Part 1: A Problem Exists
Due Week 4 and worth 150 points
Using your thesis statement and research, present the problem that needs to be addressed with your proposed solution. Note: Your solution, advantages, and challenges, will be in Parts 2 and 3.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Provide an appropriate title and an interesting opening paragraph to appeal to your stated audience (appeal with logic, ethics, or emotion).
- Include a defensible, relevant thesis statement in the first paragraph. (Revised from Assignment 2)
- Describe the history and status of the issue and provide an overview of the problem(s) that need to be addressed. This should be one or two (1-2) paragraphs.
- Explain the first problem (economic, social, political, environmental, complexity, inequity, ethical/moral, etc.) and provide support for your claims. This should be one or two (1-2) paragraphs.
- Explain the second problem (economic, social, political, environmental, complexity, inequity, ethical/moral, etc.). and provide support for your claims. This should be one or two (1-2) paragraphs.
- Explain the third problem (economic, social, political, environmental, complexity, inequity, ethical/moral, etc.) and provide support for your claims. This should be one or two (1-2) paragraphs.
- Provide a concluding paragraph that summarizes the stated problems and promises a solution.
- Develop a coherently structured paper with an introduction, body, and conclusion.
- Use effective transitional words, phrases, and sentences throughout the paper.
- Support claims with at least three (3) quality, relevant references. Use credible, academic sources available through Strayer University’s Resource Center. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Topic Identified: Should citizens be permitted to carry a concealed weapon to their workplace?
Allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons to their workplace as they pose a potential risk to the workplace violence. Security is becoming a global issue all around the world. There are two major reason I chose this topic. The first major reason is citizens do carry weapons for self-defense and mitigate chances of being attacked. The second major reasons is there is a risk in this as some of the citizens may become lawless and abuse the freedom to life. Every freedom must come with limits. Everybody has right to security and right to life. This paper will argue a case against citizens’ carrying weapons to the workplace. The rationale behind this is incidences of lawlessness.
Describe three (3) major characteristics of your audience (official position, decision-making power, current view on topic, and other important characteristics).
The research is meant to seek audience with one, law makers. It is the law makers that are responsible for enacting laws such as the one that would allow carrying of concealed weapons just as they are responsible for making stricter gun laws (Bruce & Clyde, 1998). In addition to that, another characteristic of the audience to the research is the people of similar opinion. These are, especially, people of influence in the society that feel they may be at risk of attacks from people of ill intent. In addition to those of similar opinion, people of opposite opinion is also a characteristic of the audience sought in this paper. It is upon reading the research that they shall realize that allowing concealed weapon does not mean an increase in crime. The audience includes children going to school, workers in the construction company, and workers in public offices. The workplace includes office, school and construction site. Weapons in offices will threaten other employees, while in school will inflict fear among school going children. Possession of weapons will induce essence of abuse and infringement of right of other citizens in the workplace. A citizen is required by law to apply for a weapon permit and use it the legal and responsible manner. Challenges in life makes citizens frustrated and resort to take lives. This is a threat with using concealed weapons in the workplace. State law departments require citizens to be law abiding. It is the responsibility of the government to provide security to all citizens. Security ought not to be a personal responsibility but rather a public function.
Describe the paper’s scope and outline the major sections.
· Introduction, need for security
· Role of government in provision of citizens with security
· Security concerns in relation to carrying weapons to workplace
· Rationale of carrying weapons to the workplace
Identify and explain the questions to be answered.
1. Who is supposed to provide security to the large public? Security is a function of the national government. The government is supposed to provide security to the citizens.
2. Should the citizens be allowed to carry weapons to the workplace? The citizens should not be allowed to carry weapons to workplace. Permission to carry weapons is a recipe for violence and a threat to right to life.
3. What are the measures in place to address the prospective security concerns in relation to carrying weapons to the workplace? The first measure is to sensitive citizens about prospective threats of carrying weapons. The second measure is to only permit law abiding citizens the permits for weapons and warn them about legal consequences of abusing the right to carry weapons.
4. What are the policy implications in relation to carrying weapons to the workplace? Carrying of weapons to the workplace will illustrate lapse in security manners and will mean that the citizens are providing security for themselves.
Research plan, methods of researching and organizing research
The main method of research is use of questions for data collection. A simple size 300 respondents will be used. The questionnaires will be administered by well-trained enumerators. The target audience will be teachers, officers of government and workers in construction sites.
The thesis statement is underline!!!!!