CLASS: ESOL/ THE METHODS OF TEACHING ESOL
***** PLEASE MAKE SURE ALL WORK IS AUTHENTIC*****
****** THIS ASSIGNMENT HAS 4 PARTS / PLEASE LABEL EACH PART SEPARATELY WITH REFERENCES WHEN COMPLETED******
Part 1- ASSIGNMENT 3.1
Part 2- ASSIGNMENT 3.2
Part 3- DISCUSSION
Part 4- ASSIGNMENT 3.3
******* PLEASE WAIT TIL SUPPORT HAS EMAILED THE CHARTS TO COMPLETE ASSIGNMENTS ********
PART 1- ASSIGNMENT 3.1/ Teaching and Learning Styles
Reflect on your own style of teaching and your students’ styles of learning. Generalizations are difficult to make, but it sometimes helps to see where there is a match or a mismatch.
USE THE ATTACHED TEACHING AND LEARNING STYLES CHART (will be emailed through support). Open it using your word processing program and complete the chart, following these directions:
- In the first column, describe the general characteristics of that area in your classroom.
- The second column, determine what teaching/learning styles by the characteristics in column 1.
- In the third column, describe your student preferences (in general) for those areas.
- In the fourth column, describe any changes you might make in each area based on the comparison of what is in existence in your classroom and the learning preferences of your students, particularly your ELLs.
PART 2- ASSIGNMENT 3.2/ Five Standards of Effective Pedagogy
USE THE ATTACHED FIVE STANDARDS OF EFFECTIVE PEDAGOGY CHART (will be emailed through support). Think about each of the five standards and your own classroom.
- LLD = Language and Literacy Development
- JPA = Joint Productive Activity
- MM = Making Meaning
- CT = Complex Thinking
- IC = Instructional Conversation
Under each standard, type a short description of how the standard might be demonstrated in your own classroom. Use specific examples and provide a minimum of one example per standard.
PART 3- DISCUSSION
Reflect on the five standards as illustrated in these articles. How can you meet these standards in your own classroom? Give four specific examples from your own grade/content area. YOUR RESPONSE MUST BE AT LEAST 250 WORDS. USE THE ATTACHED CREDE GRADE LEVEL ARTICLE (will be emailed through support).
PART 4- ASSIGNMENT 3.3/ Integrating Language and Content
“Integrating Language and Content Instruction: Strategies and Techniques” by Deborah J. Short contains information that needs to be taken into consideration when planning classroom instruction for ELL students. Since all lessons for ELLs need to contain both language and content considerations, teachers need to be aware of how to integrate both.
USE THE ATTACHED ARTICLE BY DEBORAH J. SHORT TO ASSIST IN COMPLETING THE INTEGRATING LANGUAGE AND CONTENT CHART (BOTH will be emailed through support).
As you read the article, open up the chart in your word processing program, and complete the chart so that you have a summary of the article as well as ideas you can use in your own classroom.