Answer question #1 and two other questions from the list below. Points will be awarded for thoroughness, clarity and good organization. Limit your answer to 2.5 to 3 double-spaced pages per question. To avoid plagiarism, be sure to cite your sources properly throughout your essays. Copying and pasting the instructor’s notes or the text book is not acceptable. In other words, you are strongly advised to express yourself in your own words. Question #1 is worth 40% and the other questions are worth 30% each.
- Explain the meaning of collective security. With reference to the League principles and the League Council, explain how the League of Nations was meant to maintain international peace and security after the first world war. Finally, discuss why and how the League of Nations failed to fulfill its responsibility as the premier global security governance institution in the 20th
- According to class discussion, China is an example of a modernizing authoritarian regime. What does this mean? With reference to the role of political party in in China and the United States, provide a brief illustration of the main differences between the two countries’ political systems. Finally, describe what you see as the most enduring or persistent weakness of communist rule in China despite the 1980s reforms.
- Provide a brief explanation of the term postindustrialism as discussed in the lecture and the textbook. Second, discuss the changes associated with this phenomenon in advanced industrial countries. Finally, discuss the impact of postindustrialism on the voting behavior of middle and upper middle class voters in Western Europe. Be sure to specify the issues that appeal to these groups and their preferred methods of putting those issues on the policy agenda.
- Illustrate the meaning of cross-national policy learning with reference to any policy issue of your choice. Second, discuss some of the benefits of cross-national policy learning. Finally, with reference to healthcare policy discuss any two factors that militate against cross-national [policy] learning in US public policy.
- By way of introduction define the following four concepts: agenda setting, popular agenda, policy agenda, policy implementation. Second, explain the meaning of the policy making process model. Finally, discuss the differences between the agenda setting phase of the policy process and policy implementation phase. Be sure to identify the policy actor/s involved in each phase and as well as their role.