For this Discussion, imagine the following scenario:
You are part of a team at the organization where you are currently employed (or at an organization with which you are familiar). This team is made up of members of the different departments at the organization. The executive director has tasked each member of the team to independently assess the following two questions:
- What theory of leadership most closely aligns with our current practice within our organization, and do you think it is most appropriate, or would another serve us better?
- What leadership theory would you recommend that might be more effective, and why? (Note: If you think the current leadership theory is a good fit and is effective, explain why you think it is working and should remain in place.)
You cannot believe your luck. The very week that you are given this task happens to be the very same week that leadership theory and frameworks are being discussed in the first class of your master’s program at Walden.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the leadership theories and frameworks presented in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Then, think about your current organization (or one with which you are familiar) in light of the leadership theories/frameworks you have examined in this course so far. In particular, consider the leadership of that organization and whether it seems to align with a particular leadership framework/theory. If it does not (or if you think the organization could use a change in approach), consider which theory/framework might be the best fit for that organization.
BY DAY 3
Post an evaluation of the leadership approach of your selected organization, to include the following:
- Assess the leadership theory/framework that you believe aligns with the organization in question. Or, if your organization does not seem to follow a particular approach (or you feel that changes are needed), assess what would be the most appropriate theory/framework for your organization based on what you now understand about leadership theory.
- As part of your assessment, paraphrase the central idea of the leadership theory/framework you have selected.
- Provide a rationale to support your selection of the leadership theory/framework for the organization, including relevant, appropriate examples and details (without identifying the organization or any individuals), as well as specific lessons that can be learned from the theory based on your observations and experiences.
Refer to the Week 2 Discussion Rubric for specific grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use this grading rubric to assess your work.
Read some of your colleagues’ postings.