SOURCE EVALUATION – Mini Paper 2
Choose ONE topic and examine the TWO websites listed as possible sources for that topic. One of them is credible, one of them is not. You will determine which one of the two websites is the more reliable source for that topic.
You will turn in a short essay that identifies which website is most reliable and compares the two sites. Your short essay should compare these elements:
MESSAGE: What is the main message of each website?
Is the information fact, opinion, personal stories?
Is the point-of-view objective and impartial?
Is the language free of emotion-rousing words and bias?
Can you verify any of the information through a web search?
2. AUTHOR: What do you know about the author/s?
Is the name of the author/creator/organization on the page?
Are their credentials listed (occupation, years of experience, position or education)?
Do you think the author is qualified to write on the topic?
Is there contact information, such as an email address or phone number
Does a web search of the author or organization reveal any information about possible bias?
3.AUDIENCE: Who is the intended audience?
Scholarly audience, professionals, or experts
4. PURPOSE: What is the purpose of this website?
Is the purpose to inform and educate, or persuade, entertain, confuse, evoke emotion, make money, get you to behave or believe a certain way?
Write a couple of sentences about each comparison: Message, Author, Audience, and Purpose
TOPIC CHOICES – Choose ONE.
You will compare the two websites to determine which one is more reliable.
A. ALIEN LIFE:
1. https://www.seti.org/ (Links to an external site.)
2. https://www.aliensthetruth.com/ (Links to an external site.)
1. Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division http://www.dhmo.org/ (Links to an external site.)
2. Carbon Monoxide https://cen.acs.org/pharmaceuticals/drug-development/Carbon-monoxide-deadly-researchers-want/97/i45 (Links to an external site.)
C. EATING EGGS: