The purpose of the graded collaborative discussions is to engage faculty and students in an interactive dialogue to assist the student in organizing, integrating, applying, and critically appraising knowledge regarding advanced health assessment. Meaningful dialogue among faculty and students fosters the development of a learning community as ideas, perspectives, and knowledge are shared.
This discussion enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
- CO 1: Apply advanced practice nursing knowledge to collecting health history information and physical examination findings for various patient populations. (POs 1, 2)
- CO 4: Adapt health history and physical examination skills to the developmental, gender-related, age-specific, and special population needs of the individual patient. (POs 1, 2)
- CO 5: Conduct focused and comprehensive health histories and examinations for various patient populations. (POs 1, 2)
Initial posts are due to the discussion board by Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. MT. Instructor and peer responses are due by Sunday at 11:59 p.m. MT. Students must post on a minimum of two separate days. A 10% late penalty will be imposed for discussions posted after the deadline Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. MT, regardless of the number of days late. NOTHING will be accepted after 11:59 p.m. MT on Sunday (i.e., the student will receive an automatic 0).
Total Points Possible
The total points possible for this assignment is 75.
Preparing the Discussion
Follow these guidelines when completing each component of the discussion. Contact your course faculty if you have questions.
This week, you will consider assessment questions and appropriate interventions related to social determinants of health. Healthy physical, social, and economic environments strengthen the potential to achieve health and well-being. The nurse practitioner (NP) must assess all facets of clients’ health during a comprehensive health history. Identify the assigned topics listed by the first letter of your first name. For example, if your first name is Gilda then your assigned topic is education access and quality. Select an objective related to your assigned social determinant from the Healthy People website.
Complete the following requirements:
- Application of Course Knowledge: Answer all questions/criteria with explanations and detail.
- Correctly identify your assigned social determinant. Briefly define the determinant and describe how it impacts healthcare outcomes.
- Select an objective related to your assigned social determinant from the Healthy People website linked above. Identify the status of the objective and the population to whom the objective applies.
- Provide at least three appropriate questions related to the chosen objective that the NP could incorporate into the health history and interview to assess the client and family.
- Identify at least two online, national, or local resources and explain how the resources could help meet the chosen objective for at-risk clients or families.
- Integration of Evidence: Integrate relevant scholarly sources as defined by program expectations.
- Cite a scholarly source in the initial post.
- Cite a scholarly source in one faculty response post.
- Cite a scholarly source in one peer post.
- Accurately analyze, synthesize, and/or apply principles from evidence with no more than one short quote (15 words or less) for the week.
- Include a minimum of two different scholarly sources per week. Cite all references and provide references for all citations.
- Engagement in Meaningful Dialogue:Engage peers and faculty by asking questions, and offering new insights, applications, perspectives, information, or implications for practice:
- Peer Response: Respond to at least one peer on a topic other than the initially assigned topic.
- Faculty Response: Respond to at least one faculty post.
- Communicate using respectful, collegial language and terminology appropriate to advanced nursing practice.
- Professionalism in Communication:Communicate with minimal errors in English grammar, spelling, syntax, and punctuation.
- Reference Citation: Use current APA format to format citations and references and is free of errors.
- Wednesday Participation Requirement:Provide a substantive response to the graded discussion topic (not a response to a peer or faculty), by Wednesday, 11:59 p.m. MT of each week.
- Total Participation Requirement: Provide at least three substantive posts (one to the initial question or topic, one to a student peer, and one to a faculty question) on two different days during the week.