NU420M6-6: Investigate principles of quality improvement and healthcare policy to improve healthcare in diverse and global populations.
GEL-1.02: Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard English.
PC-1.3: Apply conflict management skills to resolve issues and/or build team alliances.
Purpose: The purpose of this assignment is to apply conflict resolution skills using effective communication in the role of the nurse leader.
You are the acting charge nurse for an urgent care clinic on the overnight shift (7P-7A). On shift with you are three registered nurses (RNs), one certified nursing assistant (CNA), and one emergency care physician (MD). The nurse manager has left the facility for the day. You have had an influx of patients this evening. By 11 p.m., all 20 beds are filled and you have 13 patients awaiting triage. Of the 20 patients, 3 of them need to be transferred to the local emergency room for more extensive care. You have one ambulance immediately available; two others will arrive in 15-30 minutes depending on traffic conditions.
As you plan to transfer patients to the local emergency room for more extensive care, you collaborate with your team members to determine the priority of transfer. Nurse Maggie believes her patient, who is showing signs of diabetic ketoacidosis should be transferred first. Nurse George believes his patient, who is showing signs of a COPD exacerbation should be transferred first. Nurse Maggie and Nurse George get into an intense argument over who is correct. Nurse Maggie gathers the MD and CNA at the nurse’s station to discuss the issue and how “wrong and ridiculous Nurse George is.” The argument escalates quickly between the two nurses. An enraged Nurse Maggie slams the chart against the table and says that if you do not side with her she is leaving the urgent care clinic immediately.
Part 1: Script Writing
Develop a 5-10 line script using cooperative strategies to resolve the conflict between you, Nurse Maggie, and Nurse George.
Part 2: Essay Writing
Develop a 2-3 page explanatory essay that addresses the following information:
- Elaborate on the nurse manager’s role in conflict resolution and team building.
- Develop at least two interventions for decreasing incivility in the workplace that are supported by scholarly evidence.
- Discuss in detail at least two methods for decreasing moral distress in the workplace that are supported by scholarly evidence.
- You must include at least three evidence-based, peer-reviewed resources to support your ideas. These include .gov and .org professional websites, journal articles, and your textbook(s).
- You must include headings in your submission indicating each section. This is a key concept to professional writing. It is also a fantastic method for ensuring you have met all Assignment requirements. Use the grading rubric as a checklist once you are completed to verify you have addressed all components of the Assignment.
The viewpoint and purpose of this Assignment should be clearly established and sustained.