Chapter Objective Questions
Please be sure to fully answer each of these questions in complete sentences. Please note that in answering these questions you are showing me that you not only read the text, but that you understood it. Consequently, your answers should be comprehensive and detailed.
1. Explain what a welfare state is and why the United States is considered one. Provide an example of a program in this country that falls under this category and research to find the latest amount of money that the federal government spent on this program.
2. Explain what wealthfare means and provide an example of it.
3. Discuss what the official poverty line is and how it is used to measure poverty in this country. Using the link below from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, what is the poverty line for a family of 1 and a family of 4 living in Florida in 2021?
4. What is the size of your household and your total annual household income? Taking into account the size of your household and the total annual household income, would your household be defined as living in poverty according to the 2021 poverty guidelines?
5. Summarize how poverty impacts a person’s access to healthcare, education, and housing.
6. Explain why poverty persist using the individualistic, structural, and cultural explanations. Which one do you most agree with and why? (chp 6)