Please choose one of the following theses: ETH 505 Formal Argumentation Assignment
1) Utilitarianism is/is not a convincing moral theory.
2) Kantianism is a stronger/weaker moral theory than utilitarianism.
3) Every human has a prima facie right to health care.
4) Rights theory is the most convincing moral theory for health care.
5) The sentience theory of moral status is more/less convincing than the human properties
theory. ETH 505 Formal Argumentation Assignment
6) The moral agency theory is/is not a convincing theory of moral status.
7) The relationship theory is/is not a convincing theory of moral status.
8) Principlism is/is not a convincing moral theory for health care.
9) If there is a conflict between the principle of non-maleficence and the principle of justice,
non-maleficence should take precedence.
10) The principle of autonomy is the most important moral principle for healthcare.
You will then provide (3) supports for your thesis. Supports are reason a reasonable person
should accept your thesis as true. Each support should be conceptually distinct from another.
You will then provide an objection to your thesis. This is a reasonable point of disagreement
someone could bring against your thesis. Make sure the objection is not a straw man.
You will then provide a rebuttal to the objection. This is your reply when you state why the
objection is not strong enough to refute your thesis. It is important that your rebuttal
responds directly to the objection brought up and does not just restate your original thesis.
Your argument should take this form:
It should not be longer than a page. No logical fallacies should be employed. ETH 505 Formal Argumentation Assignment