Assessment Task Three: Major Written Report – Human Service Agency Website
2000 words (45 %)
Aim: The aim of this task is to enable students to demonstrate skills in identifying, evaluating and discussing a range of information relevant to a human service agency and the services it provides to particular client group. In doing this, students will also develop an understanding of peer-reviewed evidence-based literature relevant to the needs of clients serviced by particular agencies as well as report writing and evaluation skills.
Task: Students will be required to write a formal report of 2000 words about a human service agency. The report identifies and evaluates information about how the agency is set up and the services it delivers. The report will be based on information sourced from a human service agency website (choose ONE of the agency websites specified by your Course Convenor), as well as a minimum of THREE peer-reviewed journal articles (evidence-based literature) relevant to the needs of clients of the agency. The report is written in formal academic language (NOT first person).
Select ONE ONLY of the following agency websites:
• Multilink (Logan City, QLD) http://www.multilink.org.au/
• Richmond Fellowship (Queensland) http://www.rfq.com.au/
• Headspace (Meadowbrook, QLD) with links to Headspace Australia national site http://www.headspace.org.au/headspace-centres/headspace-meadowbrook
• Relationships Australia (Queensland) http://www.raq.org.au/
• Micah Projects (West End, Brisbane, QLD) http://www.micahprojects.org.au/
In the report students will:
• Discuss the key points of peer reviewed journal articles relevant to the needs of clients serviced by the agency (550-750 words for this section of the report)
• Identify and summarise information on the website about the purpose of the organisation, services provided, client groups, organisational structure, funding, information about social issues and theoretical approaches AND;
• Evaluate whether this information is clear and accessible for an emerging human services practitioner.
NOTE: A specific formal report format is to be used, including the following headings.
A. Discussion of Evidence Based Literature relevant to needs of clients served by the agency
B. Purpose of the organisation
C. Services Provided
D. Client group/s
E. Organisational structure
G. Information provided about social issues/ problems relevant to the services of the agency
H. Theoretical Approaches e.g. Social Justice, Empowerment, Anti-Oppressive, Strengths-based
Information about how to format the report is available in the Tip Sheet Instructions and Report Template in this L@G Assessment folder. The structure and format must be followed precisely. Continue to refer to the Griffith Health Group Writing Guide and the Griffith APA 6 Referencing Tool for other referencing and formatting matters. A University Cover Sheet and Personal Cover Sheet are required.
Marking Criteria: The report will be marked according to the following criteria:
1 Quality of peer reviewed evidence based literature and relevance to the specified client group 5
2 Coherent discussion of the key points of peer reviewed evidence based literature and relevance to the needs of clients serviced by the agency 12
3 (a) & (b) Identification and evaluation of information on the agency website about the:
-Purpose of the organisation
-Information provided about social issues/ problems relevant to the services of the agency
-Theoretical Approaches e.g. Social Justice, Empowerment, Anti-Oppressive, Strengths-based 3 (a) Accurate and concise identification and summary of information
3 (b) Clear evaluation of strengths, limitations and gaps in clarity and accessibility of information for an emerging human services practitioner 12
4 Report format, structure, clarity of writing 4
5 APA 6 referencing, spelling and grammar 4