In the BLUE (Custom) textbook, 5 Policy Question topics are on the following pages. Other versions of the textbook have a List of Features indicating what pages to find the Policy Questions. For your convenience, I have also included them in a pdf in an Announcement.
Policy Questions/Your Turn Questions:
- What Legal Protection Exists for the Pregnant Mother and Her Fetus? (p. 94), Your Turn Questions (p. 95)
- What are the Effects of Childhood Poverty in Canada? (p. 273), Your Turn Questions (p. 274)
- What Can be Done About Gambling Among Canadian Youth? (p. 412), Your Turn Questions (p. 413)
- What is Canada’s Position on Stem Cell Research? (p. 532), Your Turn Questions (p. 534)
- Exercising One’s Right to Die (p. 627), Your Turn Questions (p. 628)
- Choose one of the Policy Question topics. Use the questions within the ‘Policy Question’ article, along with the ‘Your Turn’ questions to create your paper in an ESSAY format, using the rubric below. Try to include some of your own questions on the topic!
- You should find someone to interview early in the course, so you are not stuck in the middle of the term with no one to interview. You and your interviewee will respond to the questions in the Policy Question article and Your Turn questions. Read the paragraph in the Syllabus pertaining to Assignment 2. Your interview can take place via Skype, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, FaceTime, telephone, email, etc., …whatever is convenient for the both of you. Examples of professionals include; doctors, nurses, teachers, social workers, lawyers, counselors, mental health therapists, professors, directors of agencies, etc.
Your paper must cover the following material:
[Hint: The bolded words could be sub-headings for your paper]
|A definition of the issue, in your own words||/2|
|Your response to questions; what is your position? This section is an opinion, so you can use “I” / First Person||/2|
|Who is your professional? Why you chose the professional you did? How is she/he relevant to the issue at hand? (what is their education, training, experience, etc.?)||/2|
|The professional’s response to the questions; what is their position? Incorporate and cite the interview (use quotations where appropriate or paraphrase and cite their ideas) into the body of the text. Do not type out the entire interview in a Question & Answer format or you will lose marks||/4|
|Recent developments; what are current legislation, research findings, social initiatives, media coverage, case studies, court decisions, statistics, etc., on the issue? Your professional may be able to address some of these, but you should also do the research on recent developments.||/5|
|Implications for society; how will changes/trends regarding this issue impact present or future generations? Have they impacted other countries? If so, how?||/4|
|The assignment should be in APA format (Links to an external site.), with good spelling and grammar. -title page (same font and font size for title page), use a Running Head, page numbers, sub-headings will help you organize your paper better -Your sub-headings should be short (a couple of words). They should not be in the form of questions. -double spaced, 1” margins, 12 pt font, Times New Roman -correctly formatted citations and reference page -a proper introduction and conclusion -Cite and reference all sources of information; newspaper articles, websites, academic journals, other textbooks, YouTube, etc.||/4|
|Contact information (address, ph #, +/or email, etc.) for the professional. Add this information to your reference page. -IF the interviewee specifically asks not to be identified in your paper, use their initials or a factitious name, the name of their organization, and the city/town they work in. You must indicate this preference in your REFERENCE section so you do not lose easy marks! This information is confidential and your professional will not be contacted.||/2|
Plan on 5-6 pages, plus title and reference page, but be aware that it would be very difficult to adequately discuss the material in less than 3 pages. If the paper is longer than 8 pages, you are probably putting in more work than you need to for 25% of your grade.
In order to receive credit, your paper must be submitted in an electronic format in the assignment “attachment” link. This makes it possible for your instructor to run your work through a plagiarism checker.