Module 4 – Case
MANAGING EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
The Case 4 assignment is designed to help prepare you for solidifying your knowledge of the Module 4 topics. It is specifically designed to help prepare you for the SLP 4 Quiz. Note: Read all of the background materials for Module 4 to best prepare you for the SLP 4 Quiz.
While reading the background material covering this assignment, pay special attention to the topics of the following questions and take note of any you cannot readily recall.
1. Explain what is meant by â€œmandatory bargaining topicsâ€ and provide three examples.
2. Give a brief overview of the National Labor Relations Act and what it covers. Does it have another name? Has the NLRA been amended? If so, by what law?
3. Give a brief overview of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002.
4. What is the Railway Labor Act?
5. What is the Landrum Griffin Act?
6. What is the AFL-CIO?
7. What are some common exceptions to employment-at-will?
8. What do the following terms mean: â€œunion shop,â€ â€œclosed shop,â€ and â€œagency shopâ€?
9. What is the intent of â€œright to workâ€ laws?
Once you familiarize yourself with these nine labor relation topics, select 3 of the topics that you know the least about. Research the topics and then discuss them in a 3- to 4-page paper, not counting the cover or reference list pages. You can cover a variety of aspects of the three topics or laws, but should include statements of why you selected these topics or laws, the impact the topic or law had on the workforce, and the characteristics of each topic or law. You should try to write at least a full page on each of the three topics or laws you selected for this assignment.
As usual, you will need a cover page and reference list page in your submitted file. In addition to the background readings, be sure you find peer-reviewed academic journal articles for your selected topics or lawsâ€”at least one reference per topic or law. These references can be found in the Online Library. Click on the â€œciteâ€ link (a single oversized quotation mark), select the APA format option from the drop-down menu, and copy and paste the reference information onto your reference list. (You may have to clean up the reference information a bit if it was inserted into the database incorrectly.)
Your submission will be assessed on the criteria found in the grading rubric for this assignment:
Â· Meets assignment requirements
Â· Critical thinking
Â· Writing and assignment organization
Â· Use of sources and mechanics.
Â· Timeliness of assignment