In the past 10 years, PPVC (Prefabricated Prefinished Volumetric Construction) had gain popularity in the construction sector in Singapore. Discuss the Implementation of the PPVC method, from the conception of the project to its delivery until completion.
The written report should include demonstrating the following items: –
- Considerations before the project start, including a comparison to the traditional method in terms of cost, quality, and time.
- The process used to manage the work activity. This will include machinery and space requirements, Method of Statement, Risk Assessment, and operational procedure to monitor the works until the completion.
- Identify the safety and health measures that would incorporate into a ‘safe system of work’ for the above activity in order that the risks identified are reduced or eliminated.
Site layout for construction resources and short-term planning for site operations
Part 1 – Site Layout for construction resources Aim
To consider and justify the requirements for the organization and layout of a construction site in relation to access, accommodation, and storage.
Using the project description (see below) together with the site plan drawing (drg no. 001) which shows the site layout of the proposed school, you are to:
- Prepare a list of items including machinery (including their areas) required for the layout for the superstructure stage, from the given description of the project.
- Draw on the site plan the items that have been listed for accommodation and storage required at the superstructure stage.
- Write a short explanation of how horizontal and vertical transportation of materials can be achieved around the site for the safe delivery and efficient distribution of materials. Your explanation must include:
- a justification of why the items have been so positioned on the site layout,
- Appropriate suggestions of how the site can be made secure in relation to access and phased handover of the completed plots.
You are required to write at least a page on this task and your work should be supported by citations/references to appropriate sources.
Coursework B – Part 2:
Short-term planning for site operations
To carry out short-term planning for resources used in day-to-day construction operations.
Your task is to prepare an optimized short-term program for the construction of part of the concrete structure for one classroom block.
The structure consists of in-situ concrete walls and floors only; internal partitioning will be carried out after the structural elements are completed. You should assume that the quantities given below are correct, and include the necessary allowances for work to any openings such as doors and windows.
Your short-term (daily) program should be appropriate for use on-site and show the details for the construction of THREE floors of the building; using the indicative schedules below (see Table 1 and Table 2).
The aim is to complete each floor (one cycle of work) within a week where possible. For planning purposes, a working week consists of 6 days of 8 hours per day (i.e. 48 hours per week). You should also note that operatives will only work on your site if they are paid for half a day’s work or a full day’s work.
Coursework B – Part 3:
Health and Safety Management System
To list out the health and safety management system for daily construction operations.
Health and safety risk assessment in a construction site is an important measure of the reduction of hazards and injuries. In the context of health and safety, common definitions used for risk are that: risk is the likelihood of a substance to cause harm, and risk is a combination of the likelihood of an occurrence of a hazardous event or exposure(s) and the severity of the injury or ill health that can be caused by the event or exposure.