MGT MODULE 2
MGT 499 Strategic Management
SWOT ANALYSISAssignment Overview
For the Module 2 Case, we will be formulating a SWOT analysis of Target.
Go to IBISWorld in the Trident Online Library. Enter the term “Department Stores in the U.S.” After you have familiarized yourself with the IBISWorld contents (be sure that you review all pages on the retail industry), perform some additional and more current research in the library on Target Corporation (use trade journals, newspaper articles, and magazines). Review the company’s most recent 10-K report as well and provide the following in your 5-page paper.
Perform an assessment of Target’s external environment, identifying key opportunities and threats, by doing the following:
- Complete an analysis of Target’s external environment using Porter’s Five Forces.
- Using the Function Approach to Internal Analysis, identify key strengths and weaknesses at Target by performing an in-depth internal analysis of the company. Use what you have learned in previous courses to perform your analysis. At a minimum, evaluate the following functional areas:
- Accounting/Finance: Include your analysis of at least three key financial ratios. If you need a resource, see:
Rist, M. & Pizzica, A. J., (2015). Financial Ratios for Executives: How to Assess Company Strength, Fix Problems, and Make Better Decisions. Chapter 1: Ratios Overview. Available in the Trident Online Library.
Rist, M. & Pizzica, A. J., (2015). Financial Ratios for Executives: How to Assess Company Strength, Fix Problems, and Make Better Decisions. Chapter 2: Ratios Description. Available in the Trident Online Library.
- Human Resources
- Operations Management
- After you have completed your Internal and External analyses, prepare a table in which you clearly show the most important strengths and weaknesses of the company and the most salient opportunities and threats currently facing Target.
Conclude your analysis by answering the following:
- Does Target have more strengths or weaknesses? Explain.
- Does Target have more opportunities or threats? Explain.
- Does Target have any sustainable competitive advantages? If so, what are they?
*******************ECO 220 PRINCIPLES OF ECONOMICS ASSIGNMENT FILES*****************