The purpose of this assignment is for the student to learn to assimilate, analyze, critique, and summarize an original research article. Student is to select a report of a single, original study that has been published within the last five years from the CCN Library.
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to meet the following course outcomes:
CO1: Examine the sources of evidence that contribute to professional nursing practice. (PO #7)
CO2: Apply research principles to the interpretation of the content of published research studies. (POs #4 and 8)
CO4: Evaluate published nursing research for credibility and lab significance related to evidence-based practice. (POs #4 and 8)
CO5: Recognize the role of research findings in evidence-based practice. (POs #7 and 8)
The assignment is worth a total of 225 points.
You are to submit your paper to the Week 6 Research Article Review Dropbox by Sunday 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 6.
Through this assignment, the student will:
1. Conduct a systematic search of relevant databases to find research-based evidence related to a nursing problem (CO 1); Student is to use the CCN library for search.
2. Critique a peer-reviewed study, indicating the research question, sample, design of study, data collection method, findings, and limitations of each (CO 2, CO 4,)
3. Summarize the research article and evaluate the significance to nursing. (CO 3).
4. Please remember this assignment can be sent to Turnitin Week One draft box for review. If you wait until late Sunday night to submit, you may not receive your feedback in time if you need to make changes. Final submission must be in the Week 6 Assignment Dropbox and student will not receive Turnitin results. Please read the announcement on the Turnitin information.
5. Article must be from CCN Library and student is required to document working permalink to article.
PREPARING THE PAPER
Conduct a PICO(T) search on the nursing problem that you identified in Week 2, Discussion questions. Select one most recent peer-reviewed study that describes original research in a single study.
Analyze the article and provide the following information in brief format: research question the study; type of sample and number of participants; research design of the study, findings of the study; and limitations of the study. Summarize the importance to nursing.
The estimated length of this paper is four (4) pages, excluding the title page and References page. Summarize the results of the study as outlined below:
1. Write a brief introduction to your paper, however do not label it as an “Introduction” in accordance with the rules of APA scholarly writing.
2. State the research question for this study in a paragraph.
3. Describe the research design of this study.
4. Explain how the sample was selected and include the number of participants. Make a judgment as to whether the sample size was adequate, and defend your answer why or why not.
5. Describe the data collection method(s) including who collected data, what tools were used, and other pertinent information.
6. Identify the limitations of the study, and describe how the limitations could be overcome in subsequent studies.
7. Describe the findings reported in the study. What is the answer to the research question based on these findings? If the study fails to answer the research question, what do you believe is the reason?
8. Summarize the article. Based on these findings, is the evidence that you found on your topic strong enough to suggest a change in practice, or an idea for practice? Please provide the rationale for your answer.
9. List your references, formatted in APA style, On the References page. Guidelines and a sample paper on APA may be found under Course Home in the Course Resources link. Follow the guidelines for writing professional papers using APA formatting as described in the 6th edition of the manual.
Category Points % Description
Research Question 25 11% In a short paragraph, state the research question of this study.
Design of Study 25 11% Describe the research design used in the study
Sample/Population of the study 25 11% Comment on how the sample was selected and on the number of participants. Is the number adequate? Why or why not?
Data Collection Methods 25 11% Describe the data collection procedure.
Limitations 25 11% Describe the limitations found in the study.
Findings 25 11% Based on this study, what are the findings? What is the answer to the research question? Does the study fail to answer the question, and if so, why?
Summary of Article
(See rubric for categories and breakdown of points.) 25 11% Summary of all aspects of the study is clear and comprehensive. Rationale for decisions related to use of study findings is clear.
Selection of Article 25 11% Selects appropriate, single study from professional, peer-reviewed literature from the CCN Library and provides working permalink to article.
Grammar, Punctuation, and Spelling/ APA Formatting 25 12% No more than 0–3 errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
APA formatting is correct with 0–3 errors.
Total 225 100% A quality paper will meet or exceed all of the above requirements.