Each study should have two academic references (textbooks, reference books, or research article) in APA format. Websites such as WebMD, Mayoclinic.com, and NursingRN.com are not considered academic references.
Responses should be in your own words and not directly copied for other texts. Plagiarism and academic dishonesty is not tolerated.
The studies do not need an APA title page, headers, or running head. You may answer the question directly on the document, but please use a different colored font that is readable.
Case Study â€“ Tuberculosis
Mr. X is a homeless person known to the emergency department for frequent visits for injuries related to intoxication and illegal drug use; he was last seen 2 months ago. He is brought to the department today for concerns of constant cough, chills, night sweats, and wheezing. Vital signs are T- 38.2Â°C, HR-78, RR â€“ 28, BP â€“ 178/96, SpO2 = 90% on room air. Blood is noted in his sputum, and he looks like he has lost a lot of weight since his last visit.
An Acid-fact bacilli smear of his sputum returned positive, and a chest x-ray shows infiltrate and consolidation in the R upper lobes and cavities in the L upper lobes subsequent culture returned with mycobacterium tuberculosis. Mr. X is started on isoniazid, rifampin, and pyrazinamide. The provider also orders frequent hepatic function panels
After two months of treatment, Mr. X is switched to isoniazid and rifampin on Tuesdays and Fridays for another seven months.
[Case study from McCuistion, L.E., Vuljoin-DiMaggio, K., Winton, M.B., and Yeager, J.J., (2018). Pharmacology A Patient-Centered Nursing Approach (9 ed.) St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.]
1. Write two nursing diagnoses with related to and as evident by statements (Only one may be at risk for)?
2. Explain the rationale for prescribing three medications to treat the infection?
3. Explain the rationale for continuing the isoniazid and rifampin for seven months?
4. What labs are included in a hepatic function panel, and why is this important to monitor for this patient?
5. What are significant side effects or adverse effects for isoniazid, rifampin, and pyrazinamide?
6. What discharge education is essential for the patient?
7. Research two health and/or social service agencies in your community that Mr. X could be referred to. Please provide name, contact information, and services that can be provided.