Provide a brief example of a concept to analyze in our nursing profession (e.g., caring, healing, comfort, diversity). Briefly outline the steps in the analysis of this concept.
As you begin, take a moment to reflect on the following course/program outcome
Analyze theories from nursing and relevant fields with respect to their components, relationships among the components, logic of the propositions, comprehensiveness, and utility to advanced nursing. (PO #1)
In order to begin this discussion, it is important to first reflect on the steps involved in concept analysis. Wills & McEwen (2011) include a table identifying the steps of concept analysis (derived from Walker & Avant, 2005). The steps include the following:
“1. Select a Concept
2. Determine the aims or purpose of the analysis
3. Identify all the uses of the concept possible
4. Determine the defining attributes
5. Identify model case
6. Identify borderline, related, contrary, and illegitimate cases.
7 Identify antecedents and consequences.
8. Define empirical referents.” (p. 54). (See Box 3-1)