Karen is tasked with caring for Remington, a 6 month old Rottweiler mix weighing 27 lbs. Remington was diagnosed with parvovirus and was admitted to the isolation ward today. He is having large amounts of vomiting and diarrhea. Karen must help the veterinarian keep Remington hydrated by correctly calculating his fluid needs.
- The veterinarian directs Karen to start Remington on a bland diet. She wants to begin by feeding only 30% of Remington’s resting energy requirement (RER) for the day. Karen plans to split this total over 3 meals.
The RER formula is: 30 kcal/kg X body weight (in kg) + 70 kcal.
- Calculate Remington’s RER. (2 points)
- How many calories per day will Remington receive according to the diet specifications? (2 points)
- Calculate the number of calories per meal. (2 points)
- Karen chooses Hill’s canned a/d diet for Remington. Each 5.5 oz can contains 183 kcal. Based on your previous calculation:
- How many cans of food will Remington need at each meal? (2 points)
- How many cans will he require each day? (2 points)
6. At the end of Karen’s shift, the veterinarian performs a physical on Remington and decides that he is not adequately fluid resuscitated. What actions might the veterinarian take? What are the consequences if Remington is not fluid resuscitated? Use at least three sentences to answer the question. (4 points)