The majority of criminal cases in the United States _____________.
- go to trial
- are settled with plea bargaining
- involve only eyewitness testimony
- involve a plea of “not guilty”
In felony convictions, what percentage of defendants pleads guilty?
The final step in most criminal proceedings is _____________.
- the trial
- determination of guilt
- the judgment of the jury
Structure for prison sentences includes _____________.
- maximum and minimum terms of imprisonment
- maximum terms fixed by statute
- minimum sentence fixed by statute
- all of the above
In civil cases, a dispute reaches the court when _____________.
- a defendant is arrested
- it is filed by the plaintiff’s attorney
- it is filed by the defendant’s attorney
- the judge puts it on the docket