Maria is a sedentary, 68-year-old woman who is overweight. She complains that her hands and feet are always cold, and she tires quickly when cleaning the house. At her most recent visit to her doctor, her blood pressure was 184/98 mm Hg. She has edema around her ankles and legs, and her physician is concerned about an echocardiogram that indicates Maria has an enlarged heart.
- Identify two reasons why Maria will have tissue ischemia. How might this lead to hypoxia?
- What two early and reversible changes occur to tissue cells when they are hypoxic?
- What specific type of cellular adaptation has taken place in Maria’s enlarged heart? What made you come to this conclusion?
- Predict why Maria’s heart has become enlarged. Why doesn’t this enlargement give her the same cardiac strength and endurance as a well-trained athlete?
Case Study Posting Requirements
- Make sure all of the topics in the case study have been addressed.
- Cite at least three sources; journal articles, textbooks, or evidenced-based websites to support the content.
- All sources must be within five years.
- Do not use .com, Wikipedia, or up-to-date, etc., for your sources.
- Your assignment must be at least 4 full pages of analytic content not counting the cover and reference pages. APA is required.