In the book, The Unthinkable, journalist Amanda Ripley explores how we react in a disaster and why. She also discusses how we can better prepare ourselves for survival when faced with the unexpected.
1. Reflect on this book and how it impacted you. What was surprising? What was confirming?
2. Did anything you read influence you in the present or in terms of what you will do (or not do) in the future?
3. What did you learn about how people react in a disaster event? Did anything surprise or fascinate you?
4. If you could share one thing with a loved one or peer, what would it be?
5. Feel free to share anything further that was impactful for you.
- This post does not have to be any particular length or style, but it does need to respond to all of the prompts.
Reading on attachment:
Ripley, Amanda (2008).The Unthinkable: who survives when disaster strikes and why. New York, NY: Crown Publishers.