Case Study 2: U.S. versus AOL
Review the case titled: â€œ U.S. v. AOLâ€ found in chapter thirteen (13) of the textbook. Then, refer to the report titled â€œ Investigations Involving the Internet and Computer Networksâ€ dated January 2007 by the Department of Justice located at https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/210798.pdf.
Write a 3-4 page paper in which you:
- Interpret how you believe a computer was used to commit the crimes they were being accused of.
- Suggest at least two (2) examples of certified professionals that could have been used for this case and the influence they would have provided for the prosecutions testimony.
- Determine the type of computer forensic skills and procedures or tools that could have been used to extract and preserve the data.
- Determine the documentation procedures that could have been used to document the evidence , and argue whether this would have changed the outcome of the trial.
Research the Internet and other media sources for cases that lost due to not having accurate or sufficient digital evidence.
- Compare and contrast the various circumstances that were available in each case.
- Use at least four (4) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Categorize the civil matters related to computer crime.
- Evaluate and explain the various methods of computer forensics and evidentiary gathering techniques.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the investigation of computer crime.
- Write clearly and concisely about computer crime investigation topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.