The SWOT analysis is a tool widely used by many organizations and business leaders throughout the world; however, a critical component of the effective use of a SWOT is the appropriate application of the information gathered from the analysis. For this Discussion, you will investigate opportunities for applying a SWOT analysis for effectiveness in both the strategic planning process and encouraging innovation within a selected organization.
To prepare for this Discussion, select a strategy practice case from Dyer, Godfrey, Jensen, and Bryce (2016) presented in the weekâ€™s Required Readings, and consider how SWOT data can be effectively used within strategic planning initiatives to gain or maintain a competitive advantage for this specific organization. Be sure the case you select provides an exhaustive overview of the organizationâ€™s business climate for strategy.
Post an assessment of the value of SWOT analysis as a contextual strategic planning tool. Your assessment should include the following:
- A brief description of your chosen case, including industry and relevant background information
- An explanation of which parts of a SWOT analysis could provide the greatest value from a strategic planning perspective, including specific examples from your chosen case
- An analysis of how SWOT data could be used to increase this organizationâ€™s competitive advantage
- An analysis of how the SWOT data could be used to increase innovation within this organization
Be sure to support your work with a minimum of two specific citations from this weekâ€™s Learning Resources and at least one additional scholarly source.
Choose from one of the case studies below:
- REVIEW Chapter 2: â€œAnalysis of the External Environment: Opportunities and Threatsâ€ (pp. 20â€“45)
- Case 03: â€œIntel (A): Dominance in Microprocessorsâ€ (pp. C-22â€“C-31)
- Case 05: â€œHarley-Davidson: Growth Challenges Aheadâ€ (pp. C-45â€“C-53)
- Case 06: â€œIntel (B): Responding to the Smart Phone Threatâ€ (pp. C-54â€“C-61)
- Case 09: â€œSamsung: Overtaking Philips, Panasonic, and Sony as the Leader in the Consumer Electronics Industryâ€ (pp. C-82â€“C-91)