Assignment 2: Discussion—The Dark Side?
Marketing professionals promote products and services in order to educate and persuade consumers to purchase them. Many consumers believe that marketing satisfies their needs by developing and promoting products and services that they need. However, some consumers believe that marketing professionals create needs by promoting products that they do not actually need.
Using the readings for this module, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, respond to the following:
- Examine whether marketing creates or satisfies consumer needs.
- Describe the “dark side” of marketing.
- Cite examples of companies that have compromised their ethics or values for increased sales and profits.
By , February 20, 2015, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Wednesday, February 25, 2015, review and comment on at least two peers’ responses.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Do the following when responding to your peers:
- Read your peers’ answers.
- Provide substantive comments by
- contributing new, relevant information from course readings, Web sites, or other sources;
- building on the remarks or questions of others; or
- sharing practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences
- Respond to feedback on your posting and provide feedback to other students on their ideas.
- Make sure your writing
- is clear, concise, and organized;
- demonstrates ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and
- displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Initial response was:
Discussion Response and Participation: