For the Final Research Paper, select a topic from the list below. These topics represent a few of the challenges the United States faces in homeland security, and they each impact American society. The paper must demonstrate an understanding of the topic through a review of literature, analysis of specific incidents or events, evaluation of mitigation strategies, and response and recovery measures. The final section of your paper must address evaluations of existing preparedness measures and your recommendations for future responses to your topic of presentation.
You are encouraged to incorporate in your research United States government websites, such as the Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency websites, the CIA Fact Book, and the databases available through the Ashford University Library.
The approved topics address current issues dealing with the missions of the Department of Homeland Security. Select one of the following approved topics:
- The use of national intelligence assets by law enforcementâ€”the checks and balances
To complete the Final Research Paper, you must
- Discuss how the approved topic impacts the core mission(s) of DHS.
- Analyze historical incidents or events appropriate to the topic selected.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of current DHS policies and procedures affecting the topic selected.
- Propose recommendations for DHS based on the analysis of the topic.
The Final Research Paper
- Must be eight to ten pages in length (excluding the title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a cover page (Links to an external site.) with the following:
- Title of paper
- Studentâ€™s name
- Course name and number
- Instructorâ€™s name
- Date submitted
- Must include an introductory paragraph with a succinct thesis statement. The thesis must be in both the introduction and the conclusion.
- Must use at least six scholarly or government sources (two of which must be from the Ashford University Library).
- Must document all sources in APA style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.