After the Disaster-use wildfire or brush fire
The work of emergency management does not conclude after the EOC is disbanded. Some would consider the recovery and mitigation phases to account for the bulk of the work in emergency management. In this discussion, you will focus on the recovery and mitigation phases to build your knowledge of the work necessary to return a community to a state of normalcy and build resiliency to minimize future losses.
Consider the disaster risks that exist in your community or state. Select one and search for news and government documents that describe how another community that faced a similar disaster recovered from the event. What assistance did they receive from local, state, or federal agencies? Did they develop plans to minimize the loss if the disaster recurred? Complete the following:
- Identify one type of disaster that is a risk in your community or state.
- Explain how another community faced a similar disaster and the recovery and mitigation steps that followed (financial aid, use of volunteers, temporary housing, changes to infrastructure, and so forth).
- Describe your suggestions for your community or state emergency management officials to help minimize loss if the disaster was to occur.
Respond to the posts of at least two of your fellow learners and provide substantive feedback to develop a comprehensive understanding of the types of activities that may occur during the recovery and mitigation phases of the emergency management cycle. What similarities exist with different types of disasters and how are they different?
This activity will help you achieve the following learning components:
- Explain how the creation of a collaborative culture between federal, state, and local agencies has impacted the response efforts.
- Critically analyze the decisions made by EOC response personnel during the event.
- Understand the planning team: what should be included as part of the plan, which groups constitute a core liaison group (law enforcement, EMT, fire, public works, IT, public health, medical).
The reference papers provided by Writerbay.net serve as model papers for students and are not to be submitted as it is. These papers are intended to be used for research and reference purposes only.
Phone: +1 (940) 905 5542