Application Assignment 2: Part 2 – Developing an Advocacy Campaign
The following application, Part 2, will be due in Week 7.
- Review Chapter 3 of Milstead, J. A. (2012). Health policy and politics: A nurse’s guide (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers
- In the first assignment, you reflected on whether the policy you would like to promote could best be achieved through the development of new legislation, or a change in an existing law or regulation. Refine as necessary using any feedback from your first paper.
- Contemplate how existing laws or regulations may affect how you proceed in advocating for your proposed policy.
- Consider how you could influence legislators or other policymakers to enact the policy you propose.
- Think about the obstacles of the legislative process that may prevent your proposed policy from being implemented as intended.
Part Two will have approximately 3â€“4 pages of content plus a title page and references. Part Two will address the following:
- Explain whether your proposed policy could be enacted through a modification of existing law or regulation or the creation of new legislation/regulation.
- Explain how existing laws or regulations could affect your advocacy efforts. Be sure to cite and reference the laws and regulations using primary sources.
- Provide an analysis of the methods you could use to influence legislators or other policymakers to support your policy. In particular, explain how you would use the â€œthree legsâ€ of lobbying in your advocacy efforts.
- Summarize obstacles that could arise in the legislative process and how to overcome these hurdles.