Breach of Contract
In this assignment, you will study the criteria for a contract breach in different contractual situations.
There are two parts to this assignment:
- Part I deals with possible remedies for a contract that is breached.
- Part II deals with different contractual situations.
Select two of the scenarios below and explain the contractual issues and possible outcomes.
- Chris loaned money to his girlfriend Louis Cassie to buy a car, but she died in a car accident before she paid back the loan. Chris claims he spoke to Cassie’s father and he agreed to pay the debt. However, Cassie’s father did not pay the debt. Can Chris recover the money? Why or why not?
- Ashlee contracts with the city of Boston to provide training and employment for disabled unemployed veterans living in Boston. Ashlee breached the contract with Boston, and Chad, a resident of Boston who is a disabled unemployed veteran, sued Ashlee for damages.
- The Singing Slinkys were a successful singing group who contracted to perform at a rock concert. The Slinkys were aware that the organizers would sustain a substantial loss if they failed to perform. Several members of the group came down with a virus that affected their ability to sing. The concert organizer sued for breach of contract.
- Carla contracts to sell her home to Becky for $185,000. Before the deal closes, Cedric offers to purchase the house for $200,000. Carla refuses to sell the property to Becky.
- Freddie contracts to perform his comedy act at a night club in New York for one month, beginning on September 1st. Freddie gets a better offer to host Sunday Night Live and refuses to perform.
Select two of the following topics and provide a relevant example that does not appear in the textbook:
- Parol evidence rule
- Assignment of contract
- Non assignable contracts
- Condition precedent
- Condition subsequent
- Accord and satisfaction
- Force majeure
- Anticipatory breach
- Commercial impracticability
- Compensatory damages
- Consequential damages
- Nominal damages