As a newly promoted sergeant, you are assigned to the patrol division working the midnight shift. You have been with the department for more than 7 years, so you pretty much know everybody assigned to your shift. You pride yourself on your ability to work with anybody and can see yourself relating to them on their own level, and in fact, they often refer to you by your first name. As a result of your efforts, your shift has the highest number of arrests, clearances, and traffic citations. However, your shift also has the highest number of complaints filed by citizens, which you attribute to good police work. Upon returning from vacation, you are called into your captain’s office and presented with a number of use of force complaints filed against your shift while you were gone. You try to explain that it shows that your officers are only doing their job through aggressive policing.
Address the following in 500–750 words:
- What are some of the problems that you may be experiencing as a new supervisor? Explain.
- As the chief, what advice would you give to address the situation? How would your advice help alleviate the situation? Explain in detail.
- What corrective action must you take immediately with your team of officers? Why?
- How would the action taken impact the shift team? Explain
- What could be the short-term implications? Explain.
- What could be the long-term implications? Explain.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.