The Assignment (5â€“6 pages):
- Summarize the research on the impact of temperament on development. This should include how it might shape our interactions with parents, peers, and in the school environment.
- Summarize the research concerning the impact of parents. This should include the formation of secure/insecure attachments during infancy and the impact this may have on later development.
- Summarize the impact of parenting styles and ongoing monitoring during middle childhood and adolescence on development.
- Summarize the research on the impact of peers, including early play, friendships, and the negative side of peer interactions (e.g., rejection and bullying) on development.
- Consider the arguments of Harris in Gladwellâ€™s blog post, â€œDo Parents Matter?â€
- Consider the relative influence of all these factors in the prompt as you state your educated opinion of whether or not parents â€œmatter.â€