Module 3 – SLP
Learning Organizational Processes
This SLP assignment focuses on demonstrating practical application of the concepts discussed in a case.
The student will demonstrate understanding of what an organization and business process are, to include describing the relationship between organizational structure and business processes. The discussion is one from a practical perspective using a specific organization as the focus of the discussion.
Paste these instructions on the cover page of your case paper, using a small font.
After reviewing the required reading for this module (and if you have time the optional reading), and using the work accomplished in the case, select a specific organization and write a 3-page paper addressing the following areas:
What organizational development activities did you witness?
Describe organizational learning mechanisms used in the organization. Did the organization specifically train individuals on the IT systems to support the processes of the organization?
Did some individuals display personal factors that deterred them from learning?
Did any parts of the organization display issues that deterred learning?
SLP Assignment Expectations
Submit at minimum a 3-page paper (excluding cover sheet and references, figures, sections with bullets, and tables), double spaced, no extra spaces, and 1-inch margins, that answers the questions using most of the required reading, and if possible the optional reading and 1 outside reference.
The paper will have a proper main heading stating the name of the class, module number, and title of the paper. The paper will also have an introduction that states the purpose of the paper and what will be answered, as well as section headings that guide the reader throughout the evolution of the discussion.
Quotations should only be used for definitions so that the student can demonstrate the ability to synthesize and articulate knowledge from the required reading.
All assertions and key discussion points are properly cited using APA format. In other words, any sentence or paragraph that contains material derived or synthesized from the background reading or other sources will be cited. References are in APA format. All references are cited at least once.
Module 3 – Background
Learning Organizational Processes
- Blau, G., Andersson, L., Davis, K., Daymont, T, Hochner, A., Koziara, K., … Holladay, B. (2008). The relation between employee organizational and professional development activities. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 72(1), 123-142.
Focus on Paragraphs 1.1 and 2.2.1 and 2.2.2.
- Ashforth, B., & Mael, F. (1989). Social identity theory and the organization. Academy of Management Review, 14(1), 20-39.
Focus on the material starting on page 24.
- Clifford, J., & Thorpe, S. (2007). More ways than one… exploring the use of different learning methods in organizations. Industrial and Commercial Training, 39(5), 267.
Focus on the four broad learning categories starting at the bottom of page 268.
- Ng, T. W. H., Butts, M. M., Vandenberg, R. J., DeJoy, D. M., & Wilson, M. G., (2006). Effects of management communication, opportunity for learning, and work schedule flexibility.
Read Paragraph 2.2.
- Orpen, C., (1997). The effects of formal mentoring on employee work motivation, organizational commitment and job performance. The Learning Organization, 4(2), 53.
Focus on the introduction.
- Alderfer, C. P., & Smith, K. (1982). Studying intergroup relations embedded in organizations. Administrative Science Quarterly, 27(1), 35-65.
Read the section titled â€œGroups in Organizationsâ€ on page 38 and stop at the end of the five intergroup relations phenomena at the top of page 40.