Our papers are 100% unique and written following academic standards and provided requirements. Get perfect grades by consistently using our writing services. Place your order and get a quality paper today. Rely on us and be on schedule! With our help, you'll never have to worry about deadlines again. Take advantage of our current 20% discount by using the coupon code GET20
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Using the readings and videos in this unit, please select 2 or 3 ideas to focus your discussion on your understanding of teens’ diverse identities as they relate to their gender and sexuality. Provide a critical evaluation of concepts discussed and then pose a thought question to which your peers will respond (e.g., how can educators help students to develop healthy gender and sexual orientations?). Your thought question should not simply elicit a yes/no response, but rather a more detailed response from your peers. To generate a good discussion, your questions should start with the words: ‘what,’ ‘why,’ and ‘how.’ ensure to cite at least two sources from the references provided below and two outside sources.
1. Paechter, C. (2005) Masculine femininities/feminine masculinities: power, identities and gender. Gender and Education, 18 (3), pp. 253-263. http://research.gold.ac.uk/1551/1/EDU_Paechter_2006a.pdf
- The discussion presented here will explore the construction of masculinity and femininity and the power associated with related culture behavior.
2. Rosario, M., Schrimshaw, E. W., Hunter, J., & Braun, L. (2006). Sexual identity development among gay, lesbian, and bisexual youths: Consistency and change over time. Journal of Sex Research, 43(1), 46–58. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3215279/
- This paper explores young people’s development of a sexual identity as it relates to their sexual minority status.
3. Saewyc, E. M. (2011). Research on adolescent sexual orientation: Development, health disparities, stigma, and resilience. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 21(1), 256–272. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4835230/
- This article provides data linking sexual orientation to health, stigma and resilience.
4. Savin-Williams, R. C. (2018). Developmental trajectories and milestones of sexual-minority youth. In The Cambridge Handbook of Sexual Development, 156–179. doi: 10.1017/9781108116121.009. https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/cambridge-handbook-of-sexual-development/developmental-trajectories-and-milestones-of-sexualminority-youth/F2DD0FB55AE140F07D3FD7EE73FD8DCE/core-reader
- This article provides updated information and terminology about a population previously labeled as gay youth. It will provide you with more information on the ways in which sexual minority youth develop their sexual identities.
1. Texts on Transgender Teens.(n.d.). Mcnallyrobinson. https://www.mcnallyrobinson.com/files/pdfs/2211_RealLives.pdf
2. Fact Sheet – transgender & gender nonconforming youth in school. (n.d.). Sylvia Rivera Law Project. https://srlp.org/resources/fact-sheet-transgender-gender-nonconforming-youth-school/
Optional Videos1. profmcgowan. (2011, December 10). Butler – gender performance [Video]. https://youtu.be/fndkPPJBi1U https://youtu.be/HbQZ7jAvgoI YouTube. (3:00)
- Dr. Butler provides great insight on what it means to perform gender, which so many young people (and adults) do on a daily basis.
2. Sari, A. (2019, October 13). Transgender youth: Navigating gender identity in adolescence [Video]. CBS News. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transgender-youth-navigating-gender-identity-in-adolescence/(8:54)
- This document will provide you with more information on the challenges faced by transgender youth. There are embedded videos within this resource.
3. TED. (2017, December 05). How to talk (and listen) to transgender people | Jackson Bird [Video].https://youtu.be/HbQZ7jAvgoI YouTube.(6:25)
- This TedX Talk is of a young person, who is transgender, and who explains what it is like to be transgender.
4. The Doctors. (2013, September 25). Understanding gender nonconformity — the doctors [Video] https://youtu.be/KgI8SiNcM3o . YouTube. (3:00)
- The Doctors television show explores what it means to be gender nonconforming.
5. The Doctors. (2013, September 25). Supporting gender nonconformity — the doctors [Video] https://youtu.be/U_b7oXsOnUU . YouTube. (3:26)
- The Doctors television show also discussed the ways in which young people could be supported as gender nonconformists.