EMERGING AND RE-EMERGING DISEASES FACT SHEET
Sir Francis Bacon said, “Knowledge is power.” This is most definitely true when it comes to diseases and how to prevent and treat them. As a nurse, you are charged with teaching patients how to prevent infectious diseases and what to do if they become infected. A powerful tool in your arsenal is the Fact Sheet. Usually comprised of one page of easy-to-read content, these leaflets can be distributed easily and can effectively inform your practice.
To prepare for this Assignment:
· Select one disease that is either emerging or re-emerging in the world today.
· Research the disease using both scholarly and non-scholarly resources.
· Determine your audience (patients, other nurses, schools, etc.) that you would want to share the Fact Sheet with.
· Select pieces of information that are appropriate for your audience.
Disease: Meningococcal Disease
Audience: General Public and Healthcare Professionals in Behavioral Health Settings
· Submit: A 1- to 2-page Fact Sheet.
· Indicate the audience on the Fact Sheet.
· Give a brief history of the disease.
· What are the implications of the spread of the disease?
· How does one detect and prevent the spread of this disease?
· How is this disease treated?
· Your Fact Sheet should be visually stimulating, appropriate for your audience, and formatted with bullet points for easy reading.
· Support your “facts” with at least 3 references.