What is the purpose of National Greenhouse & Energy Reporting Legislation?
1. What is the purpose of Environment Protection & Biodiversity Conservation Legislation?
2. What is the Kyoto Protocol?
3. Who has the prime responsibility for environmental protection?
4. How do organisations know how to behave ethically in regards to sustainability?
What process might an assessor follow when analysing procedures to ensure compliance with
1. environmental regulations?
2. How might an assessor conduct an assessment?
1. What is resource efficiency?
2. What is an Environmental Management System?
3. How can a work group be engaged in disseminating environmental and resource efficiency information?
1. Explain the differences between qualitative and quantitative information.
2. What do you think are the advantages of presenting analysed data in graphical format, rather than a written report?
3. Your organisation is interested in analysing and organising information about the amount of paper it uses. Convert the data provided into a format that is easily used.
1. What are the goals of resource usage assessments? Give at least 6 examples.
2. List the steps (in order) that need to be taken when carrying out a resource usage assessment.
1. Identify 5 benefits of environmental purchasing.
1. How can organisations ensure that work processes meet environmental requirements and identify areas in which changes need to be made? Give at least 6 examples.
2. What is problem solving in the context of environmental work processes and what is its aim/s?
1. List at least 5 various ways that organisations can access stakeholder input.
1. What are the advantages of joining an industry association? List two examples.
2. What are the advantages of joining an environmental program? Give 2 examples.
1. What is the hierarchy of control?
2. Rearrange the controls in their correct order, as specified in the hierarchy of control:
Administration, Elimination, Engineering, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), and Substitution.
1. What are Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)?
2. What five criteria should be met when creating targets?
3. Identify what is wrong with the following targets and rewrite them so they conform to SMART criteria.
a. The Absolute Advertising Agency will reduce its paper waste.
b. The Fish Factory will reduce its energy consumption to zero in the next month.
1. Identify five things a business could do to reduce its energy consumption.
2. Identify five things an organisation could do to reduce its waste.
1. Identify the four steps of the continuous improvement cycle.
2. Identify five things an organisation can do to improve the performance of its employees.
1. Explain why it is a good idea to integrate environmental procedures and practices with pre-existing organisation procedures and practices.
2. What needs to be done when existing procedures or work practices are changed or new procedures and work practices are introduced?
Define the term “Engagement”.
Engagement is the emotional commitment the employee has to the organization and its goals. It relates to a state of involvement and participation.
1. Why is it important to ensure that employees do not become disengaged?
2. What are the benefits of having a diverse team?
1. List at least six people/groups who might make up an organisations stakeholders.
2. Each stakeholder will have different areas of expertise. Complete the table by providing reasons that an organisation should seek suggestions & ideas about their environmental and resource efficiency management for each of the listed stakeholders.
1. A school is thinking about installing low-flush toilets in all of its bathrooms and air hand-driers to replace paper towel dispensers. Purchasing new toilets for the entire school will cost $22,000. It will need to employ plumbers to fit the toilets at a cost of $9,500. It is estimated that this will save the school $16,000 in water consumption fees. The hand driers will cost $13,500. The cost of employing electricians to install the hand driers will come to $4,400. As the school will no longer have to purchase paper towels, it will save $7,300 per year. It also estimates it will save $1,000 a year in cleaning costs, as the bathrooms will take less time to clean, and bins will need to be emptied less frequently. The school will incur additional electricity costs of $1,700 per year, however. Calculate the combined payback period for the installation of low flush toilets and air hand driers.
1. Determine whether the following statements are true or false.
1. Place the steps, which need to be observed when creating an environment report in their correct order.
• Communicate with the audience to understand their concerns, questions, expectations & interests.
• Create performance Indicators.
• Decide how you are going to publish report.
• Gather the data and evaluate it.
• Identify the data you will need to produce the report.
• Identify key environmental aspects that need to be covered by the report.
• Identify the target audience for your report.
• Make improvements to reporting procedures for future reports.
• Obtain Feedback.
• Produce, publish and distribute the report.
2. Identify 5 benefits of creating and distributing an environmental report.
1. Why is it important to carry out regular evaluations of environmental management systems/ strategies and improvement plans?
1. List 5 reasons that efficiency targets should be/ might need to be regularly reviewed.
1. Identify the characteristics of an effective reward system. Give 4 examples.
What methods can be used to convey information and identify sustainability improvements?
What are the essential features of a non-compliance form that could be used by employees to report any non-compliance issues?
What is the effect of environmental regulations and legislation on business?
What common environmental and energy efficiency issues can you think of?
What benchmarks might be used for environmental & resource sustainability?
List at least 8 examples of techniques or tools that can be used to achieve efficiency.
Define the term “Sustainability” and explain how it relates to resource usage.
What are the steps in creating an Environment Management System (EMS)?
How do sustainable businesses foster ethical behaviours in staff and management?
Summative Assessment 2
Essay Question –write a response to the following quote from Unlimited Sustainable Development Solutions.
Organisations today are being asked to address an increasingly complex set of environmental issues. As noted in the quote:
“Sustainability is achieved when we understand the economic, environmental, and social consequences of our actions and make deliberate choices that allow all people to lead healthy, productive and enjoyable lives”.
Your response should include a discussion of:
• Complex environmental issues.
• Methods of measuring an organisation’s environmental impact.
• Methods of managing an organisation’s environmental impact.
• Methods of reducing an organisation’s environmental impact.
Youare the supervisor of a group of 15 workers in a business involved in an industry of your choice. You have been asked to plan and organise a number of work group activities in relation to measuring current resource use and devising strategies to improve usage.
1. Identify a minimum of 3 appropriate work group activities and provide an overview of what is involved with each activity.
2. Develop a plan to monitor resource use and improvements for environmental performance as a result of the activities undertaken by your work group.