The narrative should include:
- a description of the event
- an explanation of how this event placed a patient at risk
- the student’s reflections on the event including:
- if and how the event was recognized
- why and how the event occurred, for example, was the event due to
- action or inaction by an individual healthcare provider
- system failure(s)
- a combination of systems failure(s) and individual provider performance issues
- what changes or improvements they would make, if any
- how they felt at the time
- how they currently feel about the even
- Were you personally involved in the event? Discuss.
- What, if any, workplace factors contributed to the event? (e.g., Was it during a handover? Did it involve a medication?)
- How aware was the healthcare provider(s) of what was going on around them? (situational awareness)
- How did the health care provider(s) recognize the safety problem, and how did they respond?
- How did this event affect you?
- What did you take away that you will use in the future?
- I would do something differently next time because
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary; and
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors.
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style; and
- use APA 6th Edition format as outlined in the APA Progression Ladder.
View the Journal Grading Rubric on the Grading Rubrics page under the Course Resources.
Submitting Your Journal
Please submit your Journal to the Unit 3 Journal Dropbox.