You will be required to complete a review of a public physical space and consider the accessibility limitations from the perspective of individuals with different types of disabilities. For example, how would an individual with mobility limitations, someone who is blind or has low vision, or a person with intellectual disability navigate the space effectively and successfully? What modifications would be required in order to provide equal and equitable access?
1) Select a public space to analyze. It must include an external entrance, a public washroom, and a customer service desk/human interaction of some kind. Examples include a mall or a library.NOTE: You are not required to physically visit the location. Try to choose a place that you know well and/or can access information online or by contacting a customer service representative.
2) Provide a brief description of the space (no more than 300 words). You may include 1 or 2 pictures of the space, however you CANNOT use pictures that have faces of other people without their permission. You can use photoshop to blur faces or use promotional brochures or photos of the space available in the public domain).
3) Describe how users access and use the facility:a. How does one enter the building?b. How does a user communicate with customer service representative(s) (if present)?c. How is the service itself accessed/used?d. What type of signage is used, how is it posted and where is it located?e. How does a user access the washroom?f. Consider all aspects of access, such as physical barriers, location, distances, timeliness, language and volume, and signage.
4) Consider the same questions from the perspective of 3 differing abilities (1 from each of the following 3 categories):a. mobility limitation (i.e. a wheelchair or scooter user, a person with crutches or walking aids, etc.)b. sensory impairment (i.e. blind or low vision, Deaf or hard of hearing),c. an intellectual disability (i.e. an individual living with Autism or one who isneurodivergent.**remember to identify which specific limitations you are analyzing the space for accommodation of in each of the 3 categories.
5) Identify elements that the facility has done well to accommodate as well as those that would need improvement.
6) What modifications would be required in order to provide equal and equitable access?
Rubric:Description of the space and space usage 20%Identification of barriers and accommodations 45%(15% allotted for each of the 3 categories)Discussion of modifications 20%Writing style 15%(spelling, grammar, punctuation, appropriate language, APA format)
*This assignment does not need to be written in an essay style. A cover page is requested but you do not require an abstract. You may use appropriate headings and point form, however, professional language (i.e. appropriate terminology, proper grammar, and full words, no shorthand or slang, etc.) must still be used. The expected word count is 1500 words +/- 150words.