Largo Corporation has recently acquired Suburban Independent Clinic, Inc. (SIC) which serves the general outpatient medical needs of a suburb just outside of Washington, D.C. It competes directly with CVS Minute Clinic and Urgent Care Center. The corporation appointed you as the chief information officer (CIO) of the clinic in charge of managing clinical and administrative information, technologies and systems.
The clinic is feeling the pressure in many respects – cost, quality of care, access, and efficiency. Disease and personal injuries are on the rise, requirements for efficient and effective care delivery are increasing, and healthcare costs have climbed over time.
Legislation such as the Affordable Care Act has called for the greater adoption of health information technology to improve access, delivery, efficiency and quality of health care serves and treatments while reducing costs and the occurrence of medical errors. This project explores the development and use of information technology IT since it has emerged as a powerful enabler in helping to achieve multiple goals and objectives across the entire U.S. healthcare system.
As the CIO you realize the value and importance of applying IT and have been asked to analyze the issues faced by the clinic and develop a new IT architecture for the facility.
You will benefit from this project in that it will develop your knowledge of information technology in the context of the health care field. So welcome to the world of health information technology and let’s begin this journey step-by-step.
- Steps to Completion
1) Understand the Setting
The mission statement of Suburban Independent Clinic is as follows:
- Provide high quality medical care to the patient regardless of race, ethnicity, and gender.
- Optimize visit experience, communication standards and patient understanding.
- Treat patients with respect.
- Maintain patient confidentiality and security.
- Provide a pleasing working environment for employees.
- Follow established policies and procedures for clinics such as HIPAA.
Besides yourself, employees include:
- Clinic Director
- Attending physicians (general practitioners)
- Office manager [designated as the Health Information Management (HIM) Manager]