Practically from the advent of television, there has been a persistent question about its influence on viewers, particularly young people. With the introduction of video games, that question was transferred to yet another form of media. You may have your own personal views about television and video games, but for this Assignment—or at least to start—set those views aside as you assume the role of a researcher analyzing effects of media on behavior.
You will write a research paper in which you apply theories of behavior modeling to explain positive or negative impacts of television and other media viewing on behavior.
- Review the Week 6 Learning Resources with information on behavior modeling. Be sure to access the Handout with suggested resources that address television and video-game viewing and their influence on behavior.
- Choose a perspective for your research paper. You will discuss and provide evidence for the potential positive influences of behavior modeling from television and other media viewing or the potential negative influence on behavior.
- As part of your research, consider practical recommendations to include in your paper for how to strengthen positive influences of television/media viewing or how to lessen the negative influences on behavior.
- Be aware that you must use three resources to inform your paper—the course text and two other resources. You may choose from the resources listed in the Handout or resources that you find.
By Day 7
Submit a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following:
Identify your position on the influence of television and other media viewing on behavior.
Present evidence from your own research examining current media. Use at least two other resources other than the course text (see the Handout) to support your position. Be sure to reference specific concepts such as behavior modeling in your explanation.
Based on theories of behavior modeling including: social cognitive theory, reciprocal determinism, behavior modeling, and related concepts, explain ideas and recommendations to strengthen the positive influence or to lessen the negative influence of television/media viewing.
Note: Support the responses within your Assignment with evidence from the assigned Learning Resources. Provide a reference list for resources you used for this Assignment.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK6Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 6 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 6 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK6Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
To access your rubric:
Week 6 Assignment Rubric
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 6 Assignment draft and review the originality report.
Submit Your Assignment by Day 7
To submit your Assignment:
Week 6 Assignment