Scientific notation is a common way of writing very large numbers. In everyday life we see this when dealing with cell phone storage. If a phone has 10 gigabytes of hard drive space that means that it has 10×109 bytes of space. A megabyte is 1×106 bytes.
- If our phone with 10 gigabytes of free storage downloads a game that takes of 76 megabytes, how much free storage is left?
- Describe the process of subtracting numbers in scientific notation and give the solution.
- Discuss other place we frequently see scientific notation in real life?
And- Part 2
The quadratic equations are common in many times of applications. The quadratic equation gives us a powerful tool to use to solve them. If one throws a ball down from a high cliff, the distance it travels can be modeled by the equation: 𝑑=−9.8𝑡2−15𝑡+100 where t is the time in seconds and d is the distance in meters.
- At what time will the ball hit the ground?
- You will get two answers because this is a quadratic equation. Do both make sense? (Explain in detail Why or Why not).