Homework: The Cold War and the Red Scare
Directions: Complete the reading listed below. Then type out your answers to the questions below. You should submit your answers to Canvass (below) and be prepared to discuss your answers to these questions in class on the day they are due.
Roffman and Purdy, CH15, The Red Scare in Hollywood
Excerpts from George Donelson Moss â€“ on Canvass
- Moss, CH2, Origins of the Cold War
- Moss, CH2, 2nd Red Scare
- Moss, CH2, 1950s Rebels and Critics
- Moss, CH2, Consensus Assumptions
- What were Americansâ€™ biggest fears in the Post-World War II Era? Draw up a list.
- How did Democrats and Republicans politicians exploit and promote popular fears of communism?
Ã Who was McCarthy? Why was he successful? What was the Big Lie?
- In the context of the Red Scare/McCarthyism, who were the good guys and who were the bad guys?
- Why did Hollywood make an especially appealing target for HUAC and Richard Nixon?