HRMN300 Assignment 1 – Summer 2020
Please read all directions below before starting your assignment. You may find it helpful to print a copy and cross off or highlight as you complete each expectation. Good luck!
- Please submit your assignment as a MS word document only (no PDF’s will be accepted) as an attachment in your assignments folder.
- Your assignment cannot be accepted via messages, email or conferences.
- You must submit to the assignment drop box by the due date stated in the syllabus for credit. A missing assignment will be assigned a 0. Late assignments will not be accepted, even one minute late. This is typically an indicator of procrastination.
- Respond to all four questions below on a new, MS word document. PDF files will not be accepted!
- Develop each answer to the fullest extent possible, discussing the nuances of each topic and presenting your arguments logically. In addition, include citations from outside resources to support your arguments.
- Each answer should be robust and developed in-depth. A common error is to write something that may be true but does not answer the question. Be sure you answer the specific question asked in each case.
- You are expected to demonstrate critical thinking skills, as well as an understanding of the issues identified. Some questions may also require personal reflection and practical application. These also require references. Your responses will be evaluated for content as well as grammar and punctuation.
- PLEASE do not copy or quote anything. If you do this you will lose points. All writing must be your original work. Sources are just that, a reference. Once you locate the information, read and interpret the data. What does it mean to you? Type your own thoughts and own words. Then, include in-text citations to support your ideas. This is not a research paper.
- Include an APA style Cover Page with Name, Date, and Title of Assignment. Be sure to use an APA style running head and page numbers.
- Include the original question and the question number. For each part of each question 1A. 1B etc. put your responses directly under each part of each individual question. This makes the relationship between each part of the question and each part of your answer much clearer and more reliably evaluated. Points will be deducted for not doing this.
- Each response should be written in complete sentences, double-spaced and spell-checked. Use 12-point Times New Roman font with 1-inch margins on all sides. Include page numbers according to APA formatting guidelines.
- In addition, you will want to include citations in APA format at the end of each answer.
- Also provide and APA style reference list at the end of the paper that includes all the references used to answer the questions. References should not be older than 5 years.
Question 1: (three references for part A, three for part B)
- Discuss the evolution of the HR role from administrative to strategic.
- What factors were involved in this transition?
- Why is it important for HR to be involved in the organizational strategic planning process?
- What types of skills are needed by HR professionals today and why are they important (name at least 3)?
- How are they different from the skills needed 20 or 30 years ago?
- Reflect on the HR function in your current organization or an organization you have worked for.
- Evaluate the HR role in the organization and discuss the alignment between HR priorities and the organizational strategy (do not name the organization).
- Did you see evidence of a strategic focus? Why or why not?
Question 2: (three references for part A, three for part B)
- Discuss how an organization’s diversity strategy can support the business strategy. Provide at least three specific examples and explain why and how they support organizational success.
- Consider the organization you work at currently, or one you have worked at in the past
- Evaluate the diversity program. How was it effective was it and why, and how did support the strategic goals of the organization?
- If it was not effective, explain what factors made it ineffective.
Question 3: ((Minimum of one reference for each part)
Some organizations follow a lengthy, complex selection process, whereas in other organizations the process may be more streamlined. Some may view the longer and more complex selection process to be more valid.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a lengthier process? Consider the perspectives of both the job seekers and the organization and the tradeoffs between efficiency and effectiveness.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a more streamlined one? Consider the perspectives of both the job seekers and the organization and the tradeoffs between efficiency and effectiveness.
- As a job seeker, what process would you prefer to follow and why?
- Consider the selection process for an organization where you were ultimately hired. How would you describe the process from a candidate perspective? Do you believe it was effective? Why or why not?
Question 4: (Minimum of one reference for each part)
- Why is retention such a major focus for human resource managers?
- How does focusing on retention add strategic value to the organization?
- How would you go about developing a retention program for your organization?
- What might be some of your biggest challenges?
- What type of metrics would you need to obtain and what methods would you use to obtain this data?