1. Use the concepts of aggregate at risk and health disparities for assessing needs and planning care.
2. Describe social determinants of health that impact the health disparity of the at-risk aggregate.
3. Determine the health status of the at-risk aggregate by interpreting demographic, epidemiological, and statistical data.
4. Analyze current data concerning the at-risk aggregate (Healthy People 2020).
5. Formulate three prioritized outcomes with intervention strategies at each level of prevention (primary, secondary, tertiary) for the at-risk aggregate.
Select an at-risk aggregate and develop a power point presentation that addresses the following areas:
· Provide demographic and epidemiological data for the at-risk aggregate
· Specify if you are focusing on Prevention or Management of the health disparity (e.g., prevention of diabetes in Latino teens between the ages 13-18 attending Seminole County Schools; versus management of diabetes in Latino teens between the age of 13- 18 attending Seminole County Schools)
· Introduce the aggregate and the associated disparity. Include demographics, epidemiological and statistical data. Pictures and graphics add to the presentation. Be sure to cite the sources of these materials and be aware of copyright issues!!
· Delineate social determinants of health and key legislation (if any) at national level. Include Healthy People 2020 objectives and supporting statistics related to the at-risk aggregate.
· Select one problem, need or risk of this aggregate.
· Develop the plan of care (intervention strategies) that addresses each level of prevention (primary, secondary, tertiary). Remember that you are writing the plan in the role of the public health nurse.
· Consider development stages of your target population. (e.g., teaching a group of 1st grades about preventing obesity will be quite different from teaching a group of 5th graders versus students in junior high; or a group of elderly individuals at the senior center).
TOPIC/DETAILS SELECTED: – Hispanic – Male, 35-50 years old – Health problem: alcohol abuse – Focus area: prevention using resources such as: support groups, AA meetings, etc. – Miami Dade County