Our papers are 100% unique and written following academic standards and provided requirements. Get perfect grades by consistently using our writing services. Place your order and get a quality paper today. Rely on us and be on schedule! With our help, you'll never have to worry about deadlines again. Take advantage of our current 20% discount by using the coupon code GET20
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Practicum: Population Cultural Considerations and Genetic Predispositions
Overview: This week, you’ll identify any genetic predisposition your chosen population has to a particular disease and develop primary practice interventions that reflect the cultural considerations of the population. Then, you’ll develop culturally appropriate, measureable interventions to help your population members maintain an optimal state of health, avoiding the problem that you identified them being at risk for developing.
Practicum Discussion: Culturally aware nurses recognize that states of health are revealed differently across cultures and ethnicities. Culture and ethnic background will affect the way each individual responds to health, illness, and death (Stanhope & Lancaster, 2020). These nurses are also aware of their own biases, which may affect the care they provide to others (Stanhope & Lancaster, 2020). Because most nurses work in institutions with individual patients, they are accustomed to delivering culturally competent care on a one-on-one basis. When a public health nurse deals with a population, he or she must consider how the population culture affects the ways in which the community nurse may interact. This can be with regard to the provision of education or mass health care needs such as those required in a foodborne illness, if mass vaccinations are needed for a communicable disease outbreak, or if education is required to prevent heart disease. In addition to understanding the nuances of the culture of a population, community health nurses must understand the role genetics play in health. Some disorders, such as glaucoma and diabetes, have a genetic link, as do some cancers, such as breast and ovarian.
Please discuss the following questions in your Practicum Discussion:
- Provide a few examples of community resources that should be put in place to assist your population in resolving their health care needs. What gaps in service do you see that affect your population?
- Are there any cultural considerations that might inform your approach to caring for this population?
- Does your population have a genetic predisposition to the health care problem you have identified?
- Identify at least one evidence-based, culturally competent behavior change that would promote health for your selected population and for the specific health care problem you are addressing?
Post your response to this Discussion.
Support your response with references from the professional nursing literature.
* my chosen population is childhood obesity